Collard Greens & White Bean Soup
- 1 large bunch young collard greens or 2 small ones, leaves stripped from the hard stems and washed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sprig plus 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, cut into a small dice
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato or other waxy potato, cut into a small dice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cooked baby lima or other white beans (cannellini or Great Northern), plus their broth or 1 (14-ounce) can, drained and rinsed well, plus ½ cup fresh water
- 2¼ quarts (9 cups) low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock, or water
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pull the leaves from their stems. Cut the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over a medium-high flame until it starts to ripple. Add the rosemary. Let it sizzle for a moment, then add the onion, carrot, and potato. Mix well.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and sweat the vegetables for 8-10 minutes or until they are soft and the onion is slightly golden. Stir every so often to prevent sticking or burning.
- Turn the heat up to medium high. Add the chopped garlic. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes until you start to smell its aroma. Add the collard greens and stir-fry until they start to wilt and soften.
- Add the stock and beans, plus their liquid if home-cooked. The beans and vegetables should be well covered with liquid but not drowned. Add a little extra water if needed. Bring the soup to a boil. Partially cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer, stirring from time to time, for 20-25 minutes or until the greens are very tender.
- Adjust seasoning, then cook 5 minutes more. Mash some of the beans against the sides of the pan to thicken the soup slightly. Stir in the chopped parsley and remaining rosemary. Cook 1 minute, then turn off the heat. Let the soup sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if desired.
Recipe Provided by: https://www.cookforyourlife.org/recipes/collard-greens-white-bean-soup/